Nickname: Rothosen (Red Shorts), HSV
UEFA club competition honours (runners-up in brackets)
• European Champion Clubs' Cup: 1983; (1980)
• UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1977; (1968)
• UEFA Cup: (1982)
• UEFA Super Cup: (1977), (1983)
• UEFA Intertoto Cup: 2005, 2007
Domestic honours (most recent triumph in brackets)
• League title: 6 (1983)
• German Cup: 3 (1987)
• League Cup: 1 (2003)
• Founded by the 1919 merger of Sportclub Germania zu Hamburg and Hamburger FC and FC Falke Eppendorf, HSV have always played in Hanseatic red and white. The blue and black usually found on their socks and away kit a vestige of Germania, their eldest parent club.
• Hamburg were soon challenging for honours, and were declared German Champions in 1922 after final opponents 1. FC Nürnberg were reduced to seven men through injuries and dismissals in the replay. HSV refrained from accepting that title, but 12 months later it was theirs after beating 1. FC Union Berlin 3-0.
• Hamburg reached the 1960/61 European Champion Clubs' Cup semi-final before losing on away goals to FC Barcelona. Their maiden German Cup followed in 1963 before more continental disappointment and a UEFA Cup Winners' Cup final defeat by AC Milan in 1968.
• Eight years of unparalleled success kicked off in 1976 when Hamburg won the German Cup, beating 1. FC Kaiserslautern 2-0 in the final. They then lifted the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and in 1979 took their maiden Bundesliga crown. HSV lost the following season's European Cup final but in 1983 beat Juventus to lift the trophy, Felix Magath scoring the only goal.
• A third German Cup arrived in 1987 but Hamburg – the Bundesliga's only ever-presents – have struggled to scale those heights since, occasional appearances in the UEFA Cup notwithstanding, including a run to the last four in 2008/09.
Most appearances: Manfred Kaltz (744)
Most goals: Uwe Seeler (507)
Record victory: 8-0 v Karlsruher SC (Bundesliga, 12 February 1966)
Record defeat: 0-7 v BV Borussia Dortmund (Bundesliga, 20 May 1967)
* Last updated on 3 August 2010
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 04/02/2016 08:12 CET|