|Attempts on target||33||26|
FC Metalist Kharkiv will be hoping their second stab at the round of 32 goes as well as the first when they take on a Bayer 04 Leverkusen side yet to lose in this season's UEFA Europa League.
• The two teams are meeting for the first time in European competition.
• Metalist's only previous game against a German side ended with honours even as they drew 0-0 with Hertha BSC Berlin in their maiden UEFA Cup group stage campaign in 2008/09.
• Leverkusen have played six matches against Ukrainian opponents, with their record reading W3 D1 L2 (W1 D0 L2 in Ukraine).
• Leverkusen have already met a Ukrainian club this season: they eliminated SC Tavriya Simferopol in the play-offs to reach the UEFA Europa League group stage.
• Metalist have won their last two European home encounters by the same 2-1 scoreline. They are appearing in the round of 32 for the second time, having beaten UC Sampdoria at this stage of the 2008/09 UEFA Cup before losing to fellow Ukrainian outfit FC Dynamo Kyiv in the round of 16.
• Leverkusen are unbeaten in their last nine European games home and away, including all eight of their UEFA Europa League matches this season. They have recorded three wins and two draws in their last five continental away fixtures.
• Metalist's record in 12 European away games under coach Myron Markevich is an impressive W6 D4 L2.
• In Josef 'Jupp' Heynckes' only visit to Ukraine as a player, his VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach side lost 1-0 at Dynamo Kyiv in the 1976/77 European Champion Clubs' Cup semi-finals. He did not feature as his side won the return leg 2-0 but was in the lineup that lost 3-1 to Liverpool FC in the final.
• Metalist's Serbian defender Milan Obradović has experience of German football, having spent the 2003/04 season on loan at Borussia Mönchengladbach.
• The overall winners will take on the victors in the tie between SSC Napoli and Villarreal CF in the round of 16 on 10 and 17 March, playing the first leg at home.