A record 56 clubs from 47 nations have entered in 2015/16 including three from Germany, one from Luxembourg and debutants Chelsea LFC and Club Atlético de Madrid.
Article top media content
Having won an unprecedented fourth European title in May, 1. FFC Frankfurt finished outside the top two in Germany, so for only the second time after 2009/10, the Frauen Bundesliga will be represented by three clubs, the holders joined by champions FC Bayern München and runners-up VfL Wolfsburg. At the other end of the scale, Luxembourg are making a return in the shape of FC Jeunesse Jonglënster having previously entered a club once, in 2011/12.
Along with Jeunesse, seven other teams are making debuts, among them names familiar from men's competition like Chelsea LFC, Club Atlético de Madrid and Ferencvárosi TC. The final will be held at the Stadio Città del Tricolore in Reggio Emilia on Thursday 26 May 2016, two days before the men's decider in nearby Milan.
Road to Reggio Emilia
• The holders, the top two clubs in the eight highest-ranked countries according to the association coefficient rankings and the champions of the next seven associations receive byes to the round of 32, as per the access list.
• The other 32 entrants must compete in the qualifying round from 11 to 16 August for eight spots alongside those 24 sides already in the knockout phase.
• For the qualifying round draw on 25 June, the qualifying round hopefuls are ranked according to their coefficient, and in the draw one team from each of the four established seeding positions will be allocated to one of the eight qualifying groups.
• Eight clubs have also been designated as hosts: Apollon LFC, FC Twente, PK-35 Vantaa, WFC SFK 2000 Sarajevo, KKPK Medyk Konin, WFC Osijek, WFC Pomurje and Glentoran Belfast United. They will be drawn first from a separate pot and placed in their group according to their seeding position.
• The eight qualifying group winners proceed to the 20 August draw for the round of 32, with the two-legged knockout phase beginning in October.
• A new separate round of 16 draw will be made on 19 October rather than being combined with that of the last 32.
• Debutants in round of 32: Chelsea LFC, Club Atlético de Madrid, KIF Örebro DFF
• Debutants in qualifying round: CF Benfica, Ferencvárosi TC, Wexford Youths WFC, ŽFK Dragon 2014, FC Jeunesse Junginster
• Faroese champions KÍ Klaksvík maintain their unique record of entering all 15 seasons of UEFA women's competition.
• Bayern are the only German club not to have lifted the European title in their debut season, beaten in the 2009/10 round of 16 in their sole previous attempt.
• Frankfurt are joined in the competition by the two sides that won the previous four editions between them, Wolfsburg and Olympique Lyonnais, plus last term's runners-up Paris Saint-Germain.
• Glasgow City FC's reward for reaching the 2014/15 quarter-finals is to have helped Scotland into an automatic knockout berth for the first time.
• Spain has two entrants for the first time with FC Barcelona joined by Atlético.
• From 2016/17, 12 rather than eight nations receive two entries.
Qualifying round draw: 14.00CET, 25 June
Qualifying round: 11–16 August
Round of 32 draw: 20 August
Round of 32: 7/8 & 14/15 October
Round of 16 draw: 19 October
Round of 16: 11/12 November & 18/19 November
Quarter-final & Semi-final draw: 27 November
Quarter-finals: 23/24 & 30/31 March
Semi-finals: 23/24 & 30 April/1 May
Final (Reggio Emilia): 26 May
Bye to round of 32 (*national runners-up)
1 1. FFC Frankfurt (GER, holders) 72.680
2 Olympique Lyonnais (FRA) 115.080
3 VfL Wolfsburg (GER)* 97.680
4 FC Rosengård (SWE) 69.295
5 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)* 59.080
6 Brøndby IF (DEN) 52.870
7 Fortuna Hjørring (DEN)* 50.870
8 Glasgow City FC (SCO) 38.570
9 WFC Zvezda-2005 (RUS) 37.520
10 FC Barcelona (ESP) 36.530
11 FC Zürich Frauen (SUI) 32.910
12 FC Bayern München (GER) 31.680
13 FK Zorkiy Krasnogorsk (RUS)* 29.520
14 Liverpool LFC (ENG) 24.140
15 ASD CF Bardolino Verona (ITA) 20.550
16 KIF Örebro DFF (SWE)* 20.295
17 R. Standard de Liège (BEL) 19.610
18 Chelsea LFC (ENG)* 19.140
19 FSK St. Pölten-Spratzern (AUT) 14.725
20 ACF Brescia Femminile (ITA)* 14.550
21 SK Slavia Praha (CZE) 13.560
22 Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)* 13.530
23 FC BIIK-Kazygurt (KAZ) 12.940
24 LSK Kvinner FK (NOR) 12.075
Qualifying round (**group hosts)
Seeding position 1
1 Apollon Limassol LFC (CYP)** 25.270
2 Olimpia UT Cluj-Napoca (ROU) 17.620
3 ŽFK Spartak (SRB) 15.620
4 Gintra Universitetas (LTU) 14.630
5 FC Twente (NED)** 14.610
6 PK-35 Vantaa (FIN)** 13.290
7 FC PAOK (GRE) 12.965
8 Konak Belediyespor (TUR) 12.630
Seeding position 2
9 Stjarnan (ISL ) 12.610
10 WFC SFK 2000 Sarajevo (BIH)** 11.970
11 KKPK Medyk Konin (POL)** 11.105
12 WFC Osijek (CRO)** 10.640
13 ASA Tel-Aviv University SC (ISR) 10.640
14 WFC Pomurje (SVN)** 10.300
15 WFC Kharkiv (UKR) 9.630
16 FC NSA Sofia (BUL) 8.645
Seeding position 3
17 Pärnu JK (EST) 6.650
18 KÍ Klaksvík (FRO) 5.320
19 FC Minsk (BLR) 5.130
20 Ferencvárosi TC (HUN) 5.115
21 FC Union Nové Zámky (SVK) 3.645
22 Wexford Youths WFC (IRL) 3.630
23 CF Benfica (POR) 3.135
24 Glentoran Belfast United WFC (NIR)** 2.660
Seeding position 4
25 KS Vllaznia (ALB) 1.995
26 Cardiff Met LAFC (WAL) 1.990
27 WFC Ekonomist (MNE) 1.330
28 ŽFK Dragon 2014 (MKD) 0.900
29 CSF Noroc Nimoreni (MDA) 0.165
30 Hibernians FC (MLT) 0.000
31 Rīgas FS (LVA) 0.000
32 FC Jeunesse Jonglënster (LUX) 0.000